BEFORE YOU GATHER
- If this is one of your first group meetings, familiarize yourself with this Group Study Guide.
- If you missed it, CLICK HERE to watch the weekend sermon.
- Spend some time in prayer before your group gathers.
- To prepare for discussion, CLICK HERE for a few facilitation tips and/or CLICK HERE to review and remind your group of the Group Agreement.
- As a leader you always have the option to use some or all the questions and/or write your own questions.
Opening Prayer: (1-5 minutes)
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s a suggestion of how your group can invite God into your time together.
Lord, do not let us neglect Your Spirit or the gifts You have given us. Give us courage to use these gifts and the humility to not use them for our glory, but for You and Your glory. Help us see the good work You have ready for us and embrace that work with willingness and joy.
In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Quick Connection: (5 minutes)
“And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.” Mark 12:30
Share how you have loved God with all your heart, soul and mind this past week.
Group Discussion: (30 minutes)
This week we are exploring loving God with all of our STRENGTH.
The Greek word for strength is Ischus. The definition for Ischus is: abilities, exceptional capabilities, strengths.
Open your Bibles together and read Matthew 25:14:30 - The Parable of the Talents.
- What does this parable teach us about God and His character?
- What distinguishes the reactions of the two faithful servants from the reaction of the unfaithful servant?
- What strengths and abilities have been given to you? What is keeping you from using your your God given gifts and abilities and why? Examples: Comparison, competition, jealousy, insecurity, fear.
So often it is easier for others to recognize our strengths, abilities, and God given spiritual gifts. This week we will share and affirm the strengths we recognize in one another.
Affirming gifts and abilities experience:
- Pass out a piece of paper to everyone.
- Have each person write their name at the top of the paper.
- Explain that everyone will have a chance to write what they recognize as strengths for each person.
- Pass your paper to the person on the right - they will write on that paper the strengths, abilities and passions they see in that person then pass it onto the next person until everyone has written something about everyone in the group.
- When the person receives their completed paper, have them turn it over so as not to see what has been written.
- Once everyone has their completed paper, have them give it to the person on their left.
- Start with someone who will read the strength, abilities and passions to the person they have.
- In what ways can you see yourself passionately serving others and loving it?
- What next step is God calling you to make right now?
CLOSING PRAYER (5-15 minutes):
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s a suggestion of what your group could talk about with God in prayer.
Pray for discernment to know how to use the abilities and resources God has given you in a way that honors Him.
RESOURCES FOR FURTHER GROWTH & DISCIPLESHIP
- (Assessment/Website) Take the "What's My Fit?" assessment as a way to begin unpacking what your spiritual gifts are - https://cornerstoneweb27.ccbapps.com/survey/
- (Assessments/Websites) For additional personal assessments, visit the Community Leader ToolBox website. Scroll down on the Resources page and view the various assessments available - http://cornerstoneweb.org/community-resources/