BEFORE YOU GATHER
- Familiarize yourself with this Group Study Guide.
- If you missed it, CLICK HERE to watch the weekend sermon.
- Spend some time in prayer before your group gathers.
- To prepare for discussion, CLICK HERE for a few facilitation tips.
- As a leader you always have the option to use some or all the questions and/or write your own questions.
Opening Prayer: (1-5 minutes)
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s some suggestions of how your group can invite God into your time together.
- Thank God that He CHOOSES to love us.
- Thank Him for loving you and not expecting ANYTHING in return.
- Ask Him to start breaking down the walls/barriers for those who struggle with understanding, believing or receiving His love in your group or in your wider circle.
Quick Connection: (5 minutes)
What is your favorite part of a wedding ceremony? What is your least favorite part?
Group Discussion: (30 minutes)
This week we will explore the truth, “God IS love.” Take turns reading 1 Corinthians 13 out loud, verse by verse.
AGAPE: The kind of love that seeks the wellbeing of others without expecting anything in return.
- What hurdles get in the way of someone fully understanding, believing and possibly receiving God’s agape love for then?
- Describe the difference between choice and obligation. What emotions are often associated with each word?
- Pastor Billy explained the differences between essence (that which makes something what it is) and attribute (a quality that belongs to a thing). Take time to read through a few of God’s essence AND attributes:
God is Light - (1 John 5:9; Psalm 27:1)
God is Spirit – (John 4:24)
God is Love – (1 John 4:8)
Righteous - (Ezra 9:15)
Holy – (Revelation 15:4)
Sovereign – (Colossians 1:16)
Merciful – (Psalm 116:5)
Wrathful – (Romans 2:5)
Just – (Romans 3:26)
- Referencing the incomplete list above, which essence or attribute would you add? Which essence or attribute do you resonate the most with during your current season in life?
- Read 1 John 4:7-21. Since God IS love, what is our response to be to His love?
CLOSING PRAYER (5-15 minutes):
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s some suggestions of what your group could talk about with God in prayer.
- Thank God that He calls each of us to Him by His love.
- Ask God to begin showing each of you the barriers that may be in the way of you fully understanding His agape love for you.
- Thank Him for his never ending, never failing agape love.
CHALLENGE FOR THE WEEK:
- Take time to think, process and write out the ways that you SEE God’s agape love for you - both in the past and today.
- Memorize 1 Corinthians 13.
RESOURCES FOR FURTHER GROWTH, DISCUSSION & DISCIPLESHIP