BEFORE YOU GATHER
- Familiarize yourself with this Group Study Guide.
- If you missed it, CLICK HERE to watch the weekend sermon.
- Spend some time in prayer before your group gathers.
- To prepare for discussion, CLICK HERE for a few facilitation tips.
- As a leader you always have the option to use some or all the questions and/or write your own questions.
Opening Prayer: (1-5 minutes)
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s some suggestions of how your group can invite God into your time together.
- Thank Him for this time of being together.
- Thank Him for the opportunity we have thru baptism to celebrate our salvation.
- Ask Him to give us the courage and freedom to speak and share honestly!
Quick Connection: (5 minutes)
If you had your own talk show, who would your first three guests be and why?
Group Discussion: (30 minutes)
This week we will explore the next step of Baptism (water baptism | Believer’s baptism). Baptism is the outward expression of an inward change; a public declaration of faith in Jesus.
- Open your Bibles and together read: Acts 16:11-15 and Acts 16:25-34. Compare these two baptism stories. What are some of the differences? What are some of the similarities?
- From the stories above, can you personally relate to Lydia or the Philippian Jailer? Why?
- Read Romans 6:4, Colossians 2:12-14, Galations 3:27 and 2 Corinthians 5:17. What stands out to you about baptism from these verses?
- What obstacles get in the way of someone being baptized? Why?
- Have you been baptized? If so, share your baptism story! When, where … and WHY did you choose to be baptized. If not, what is standing in the way/holding you back from being baptized?
CLOSING PRAYER (5-15 minutes):
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s a suggestion of how your group could end your time in prayer.
"Jesus, what an honor it is to come together and openly talk/share and learn from one another about your love for each and every one of us. We ask that this week, we live our life in a public way that demonstrates our faith and hope in You. Thank you for the opportunity we have to be baptized without fear of consequence."
CHALLENGE FOR THE WEEK:
- Spend time reflecting on your own baptism story. How is your relationship with Jesus since you’ve been baptized?
- Spend time considering being baptized. If being baptized is YOUR next step with Jesus, let us know and fill out your campus’ interest form: http://cornerstoneweb.org/next-steps/baptism/