BEFORE YOU GATHER
- Familiarize yourself with this Group Study Guide.
- If you missed it, CLICK HERE to watch the weekend sermon.
- Spend time in prayer before your group gathers.
- To help you prepare, CLICK HERE for a few facilitation tips when it comes to leading difficult and potentially controversial discussions.
- As a leader you always have the option to use some or all the questions and/or write your own questions.
Opening Prayer: (1-5 minutes)
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s some suggestions of how your group can invite God into your time together.
Jesus, as we enter into the Christmas season may we slow down to experience the wonder and beauty of Immanuel, God with us. As we ponder the prophecy of Jesus birth, bring to mind how grateful we are for your presence in our life.
Quick Connection: (5 minutes)
Recall your favorite Christmas carol as a child and share what memory it brings to your mind.
Group Discussion: (30 minutes)
Open your Bibles together and read Isaiah 7:14-17 and 9:1-7.
- How would you summarize what Isaiah is prophetically telling the people? If you lived in that time what would your reaction be?
- How does the time of Isaiah’s prophecy compare to our current world climate? How does the good news bring hope in a world filled with despair, suffering and disunity?
- “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” Which is these names of Jesus do you identify with and why?
- How has the gospel changed you? What holds you back from sharing the good news of the gospel?
- What are creative ways to invite people to the Christmas services and who are you “Going to Tell” and invite?
CLOSING PRAYER (5-15 minutes):
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s some suggestions of what your group could talk about with God in prayer.
- Jesus, you are the Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. You are with us always. Your love never fails. As we go out this week may live the gospel and pray for those that You put on our heart to invite to hear the good news this advent season.
- Pray for the people you desire to invite to a Christmas service.
CHALLENGE FOR THE WEEK:
12 Days of Serving starts on December 1st - How can your group serve and give back in this advent season?
RESOURCES FOR FURTHER GROWTH, DISCUSSION & DISCIPLESHIP