BEFORE YOU GATHER
- Familiarize yourself with this Group Study Guide.
- If you missed it, CLICK HERE to watch the weekend sermon.
- Spend some time in prayer before your group gathers.
- To prepare for discussion, CLICK HERE for a few facilitation tips.
- As a leader you always have the option to use some or all the questions and/or write your own questions.
Opening Prayer: (1-5 minutes)
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s a suggestion of how your group can invite God into your time together.
Lord, may we have an open mind and heart as we lean into the areas of our lives that we constantly take control. We pray for our conversation to be filled with love and grace as we dig into the areas that we struggle to relinquish our control over to You.
Quick Connection: (5 minutes)
When you think about the unknowns in your life, what keeps you up at night?
Group Discussion: (30 minutes)
This week we will explore the fear of the unknown.
“Fear of the unknown is ultimately fear of not being in control.” - Becky Fitch
- What controlling behaviors are hard for you to let go of? Why?
- Compare and contrast Abraham’s story to your story.
- Read Genesis 12:1-9 - How did Abraham remember God’s faithfulness? Share a time you remember stepping into the unknown and God was faithful.
- Read Genesis 12:10-20 - Abraham took matters into his own hands. What did Abraham learn about God when he lied about Sarai? Describe the cause and effect of a situation when you took control over a matter and it did not work out. How might it lead you to relinquish your control to God?
- What do you observe in Genesis chapter 15 and chapter 22:1-19 about the promise and covenant of God? How does this parallel the new covenant that Jesus put in place for us today?
- Read John 3:16 Does this offer you peace, hope and comfort why or why not?
- Fear is real. God has given us many promises so we can remain strong in our fears. Remember, God is with you, sees you, loves you, has the last word and is in control. Pick one of the scriptures below and share with the group why you need to remember this promise as you move forward with this week.
- Deuteronomy 31:8 - “He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”
- Romans 8:28 - "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”
- Isaiah 43:1 - "Don’t fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine.”
- 1 John 4:18 - “Perfect love casts out all fear.”
- Psalm 18:2 - “The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer.”
CLOSING PRAYER (5-15 minutes):
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s some suggestions of what your group could talk about with God in prayer.
- Thank you Lord for the last five weeks that have shined a light on how to overcome fear moment by moment. May we never forget how much You love us, know us and see us.
- Pray for those in the group that are gripped with fear of the unknown.
CHALLENGE FOR THE WEEK:
Memorize one of the scriptures above that YOU need to remember this week. Take time to write it out and place it in a prominent location so as to remind you of His promise.
RESOURCES FOR FURTHER GROWTH & DISCIPLESHIP