BEFORE YOU GATHER
- Familiarize yourself with this Group Study Guide.
- If you missed it, CLICK HERE to watch the weekend sermon.
- Spend some time in prayer before your group gathers.
- To prepare for discussion, CLICK HERE for a few facilitation tips.
- As a leader you always have the option to use some or all the questions and/or write your own questions.
Opening Prayer: (1-5 minutes)
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s a suggestion of how your group can invite God into your time together.
- Pray that God would help us identify the fears that hold us back from walking in faith in our big God.
- Pray that we would have authentic fellowship together and be able to encourage each other to walk in faith that God sees us and He is enough.
Quick Connection: (5 minutes)
What is something that scared you when you were a little kid?
Group Discussion: (30 minutes)
This week we will explore the story of Gideon: God sees us, and He is enough.
Open your Bibles and together read Judges 6-7 (this is optional, since it is fairly long).
- What makes you fearful and anxious today? How does it affect you?
- Focus on Judges 6:17-24. In the midst of Gideon's encounter, he realized his visitor WAS the angel of the Lord, and this experience changed him. Share a time when you have experienced God, perhaps for the first time. How does recalling this help us to believe God in our present circumstance?
- How God sees us is different than how we see ourselves. Share some ways you identify yourself based on your past or what someone has said you are. What old tapes still play in your head? How is this different than how God sees you?
- The Bible has 365 verses about “Fear not.” Open your Bibles and read these verses together:
- Deuteronomy 31:8
- Psalm 118:6
- Isaiah 12:2
- Isaiah 43:1-3
- 1 Peter 5:7
- 1 John 4:18.
- How do these verses affect you? Did any particular one speak to you?
- Describe the differences between being fearless and brave.
- What area in your life is God calling you to take courage in Him and move forward in faith?
CLOSING PRAYER (5-15 minutes):
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s some suggestions of what your group could talk about with God in prayer.
- Pray that we would allow God to redefine, rename and repurpose us as who He sees us to be.
- Pray that we could take steps to believe that He is enough and will be with us in everything He is calling us to do.
CHALLENGE FOR THE WEEK:
- Believe God more than you believe your fears. Stop waiting to be fearless. Let God make you brave.
- Allow God to speak to you. Perhaps God will be calling you to “clean house”.
RESOURCES FOR FURTHER GROWTH & DISCIPLESHIP