What does the bible say about the spirit world?
BEFORE YOU GATHER
- Familiarize yourself with this Group Study Guide.
- If you missed it, CLICK HERE to watch the weekend sermon.
- Spend time in prayer before your group gathers.
- To help you prepare, CLICK HERE for a few facilitation tips when it comes to leading difficult and potentially controversial discussions.
- As a leader you always have the option to use some or all the questions and/or write your own questions.
*This is a very powerful topic. Please be intentional to stay focused on what the Bible says about the spirit world, and avoid conversations that center around ghost and demonic movies.
Opening Prayer: (1-5 minutes)
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s some suggestions of how your group can invite God into your time together.
- To get our hearts and minds all going in the same direction, pray Ephesians 6:12. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
Quick Connection: (5 minutes)
- Have you ever experienced something that you felt was cursed? Like a job, house, relationship, car, or appliance? Why did you believe it was cursed, and not just broken or unhealthy?
Group Discussion: (30 minutes)
This week we will explore the question... What does the Bible say about the Spirit World?
- Read Ezekiel 6:12-19. How does it feel when you think about angels watching over you, being sent to help you and protect you?
- This is a confidential question: Have you ever had an unsettling spirit or vibe?
- Read 1 Peter 5:8-9 and James 4:7. What do these verses teach us about Satan and our power in Christ to overcome?
- Read Ephesians 6:10-20. Because the devil knows and perfects the strategies he uses against you, what circumstances or tendencies could possibly be hijacked in your life?
- If I were the devil, how would I attack me?
- Regarding Ephesians 6:10-20, how does purposefully putting on the full armor of God empower and encourage you? What piece of armor is especially meaningful?
CLOSING PRAYER (5-15 minutes):
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s some suggestions of what your group could talk about with God in prayer.
- Pray that we would see to know the Holy Spirit would be the only Spirit we seek to know.
- Ask the Lord to reveal ways the devil has succeeded with us in the past and how we can be prepared next time. Ask God to help us be alert, to strengthen us, and give us more confidence.
CHALLENGE FOR THE WEEK:
- Decide to memorize one of the following verses this week (or a different one), as a group:
- 1 Peter 5:8-9
- James 4:7
- Ephesians 6:12
- Romans 8:38-39
RESOURCES FOR FURTHER GROWTH, DISCUSSION & DISCIPLESHIP
- (Book Resource) The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis