What is heaven going to be like?
BEFORE YOU GATHER
- Familiarize yourself with this Group Study Guide.
- If you missed it, CLICK HERE to watch the weekend sermon.
- Spend time in prayer before your group gathers.
- To help you prepare, CLICK HERE for a few facilitation tips when it comes to leading difficult and potentially controversial discussions.
- As a leader you always have the option to use some or all the questions and/or write your own questions.
Opening Prayer: (1-5 minutes)
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s some suggestions of how your group can invite God into your time together.
- We praise You for redeeming and restoring all things.
- Thank You for bringing us hope in your Son, Jesus Christ.
- Ask God to reveal to you your true feelings about Heaven.
Quick Connection: (5 minutes)
Describe how you pictured Heaven and what it would be like before you heard this weekend’s message? Were there certain films in popular culture that have created an image in your head?
Group Discussion: (30 minutes)
This week we will explore the question... What will Heaven be like?
- Open your Bibles together and read Revelation 21:1-4. How will our relationship with God be different in the New Heaven? How does this make you feel?
- Continue reading Revelation 21:5-7. By whose authority can we trust that this will indeed take place?
- Read Revelation 21:22-23. Why will there be no temple or place of worship in the New Heaven?
- Read Revelation 22:1-4. What curse will be reversed? Flip to Genesis 3:14-19 for additional context.
- Check out Matthew 6:9-13. Jesus says, “...your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven...” How can we bring the Kingdom of Heaven to Earth?
CLOSING PRAYER (5-15 minutes):
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s some suggestions of what your group could talk about with God in prayer.
- Thank Jesus for His promises and hope.
- Ask God to bring to you opportunities this week where you can help bring Heaven to Earth.
CHALLENGE FOR THE WEEK:
How can we preach the Gospel without Heaven being the end goal?
RESOURCES FOR FURTHER GROWTH, DISCUSSION & DISCIPLESHIP
- (Book Resource) Surprised by Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church by N.T. Wright
- (Book Resource) Heaven by Randy Alcorn
- (Book Resource) Eternity is Now in Session by John Ortberg
- (Video Resource) Heaven is NOT the Christian Hope by N. T. Wright
- (Video Resource) Heaven & Earth by The Bible Project