Why can't I stop doing the things
I know I shouldn't do?
BEFORE YOU GATHER
- Familiarize yourself with this Group Study Guide.
- If you missed it, CLICK HERE to watch the weekend sermon.
- Spend time in prayer before your group gathers.
- To help you prepare, CLICK HERE for a few facilitation tips when it comes to leading difficult and potentially controversial discussions.
- As a leader you always have the option to use some or all the questions and/or write your own questions.
Opening Prayer: (1-5 minutes)
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s some suggestions of how your group can invite God into your time together.
- Pray that God would keep us from distractions and keep our attention on Him.
- Pray for wisdom and understanding for this complex topic.
Quick Connection: (5 minutes)
Share a time when you did things your own way and it didn’t work out so well. This could be getting lost or trying to assemble something without the instructions, etc.
Group Discussion: (30 minutes)
Open your Bibles together and read Romans 7:15-24.
- Is it comforting or enlightening to hear Paul struggling with this question? Can you think of other references in the Bible where we see this same struggle playing out?
- There are a number of metaphors for sin, such as a hole we are trying to fill, trying to be God when we are not, choosing our own path, etc. What is the nature of sin? Which of these metaphors do you identify with?
- Read Proverbs 3:5-6. When you examine your own life, what areas are hard to submit to God?
- Andy Stanley said, “What captures our attention influences our direction…”. Yet we now live in an “attention economy” where attention has become the currency of our age. Getting our attention is now a massive business. How does our culture try to divert our attention? What can we do to keep our attention on God?
CLOSING PRAYER (5-15 minutes):
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s some suggestions of what your group could talk about with God in prayer.
- Pray that God would enable us to submit to Him.
- Pray that the Holy Spirit would nudge us on the issue where we are going our own way.
- Pray for sensitivity to those moments when our attention drifts.
CHALLENGE FOR THE WEEK:
Find some scripture verses this week that speak to this struggle and commit them to memory, for use when you find your attention starting to drift.
RESOURCES FOR FURTHER GROWTH, DISCUSSION & DISCIPLESHIP
- Book Resource - "The Principle of the Path: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want To Be" by Andy Stanley
- Book Resource - "The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism" by Tim Keller
- Book Resource - “A Long Obedience in the Same Direction” by Eugene Peterson
- Cornerstone's NEW YouTube Video Series - "Beyond Sunday"