HOW DO I KNOW THE BIBLE IS TRUE?
BEFORE YOU GATHER
- Familiarize yourself with this Group Study Guide.
- If you missed it, CLICK HERE to watch the weekend sermon.
- Spend time in prayer before your group gathers.
- To help you prepare, CLICK HERE for a few facilitation tips when it comes to leading difficult and potentially controversial discussions.
- As a leader you always have the option to use some or all the questions and/or write your own questions.
Opening Prayer: (1-5 minutes)
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s some suggestions of how your group can invite God into your time together.
- Praise God that His omnipotence is not challenged by our questions.
- Thank God for inviting our questions.
- Ask God to give your group wisdom as you wrestle with important questions with complex answers
Quick Connection: (5 minutes)
Have you ever overheard something and interpreted it incorrectly because you didn’t have the correct context? Has anyone ever misinterpreted what you said because they didn’t understand the context?
Group Discussion: (30 minutes)
Open your Bibles and have different group members read Matthew 7:7-8, Colossians 2:6-3:12-17 out-loud.
- How are the definitions of truth and factual similar? How are they different?
- Why do different Biblical text require different methods of interpretation? (For example, why would poetry found in scripture be interpreted differently than historical accounts found in scripture?)
- Read Colossians 2:6-15. What does Paul say is the foundation of our faith?
- Taking the Bible seriously means that we question, research, wrestle, and help each other in our question asking and answer seeking. Read Colossians 3:12-17. How does Paul instruct us to interact with each other? What can we learn about how to support each other as we engage in the process of asking questions?
- At the close of the sermon, Pastor Billy suggests that the Biblical stories and accounts are building blocks that add richness and dimension to our faith in the same way that the sequences made by DNA building blocks add beauty and richness to life. In what way does taking the Bible as it comes to us strengthen and deepen our faith?
CLOSING PRAYER (5-15 minutes):
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s a suggestion of what your group could talk about with God in prayer.
- Ask God to show you the questions he wants to answer for you as you continue to grow in your faith.
CHALLENGE FOR THE WEEK:
- Commit to reading your Bible EVERY day this week.
- As you read your Bible this week, take time to notice the author, audience, and genre of the text. Does acknowledging these things impact the way your interpret what your read?
RESOURCES FOR FURTHER GROWTH, DISCUSSION & DISCIPLESHIP
- Online/App Resource - She Reads Truth - Daily Bible Reading Guide/Content - Women
- Online/App Resource - He Reads Truth - Daily Bible Reading Guide/Content - Men
- Book Resource - "The Case for Christ," by Lee Strobel
- Cornerstone's NEW YouTube Video Series - "Beyond Sunday"
- Past Cornerstone Sermon - Week 5 of the first You Asked For It series - Pastor Billy discussed the question "Does belief in a Creator mean the evolution is impossible?"