BEFORE YOU GATHER
- If this is one of your first group meetings, familiarize yourself with this Group Study Guide.
- If you missed it, CLICK HERE to watch the weekend sermon.
- Spend some time in prayer before your group gathers.
- To prepare for discussion, CLICK HERE for a few facilitation tips and/or CLICK HERE to review and remind your group of the Group Agreement.
- As a leader you always have the option to use some or all the questions and/or write your own questions.
Opening Prayer: (1-5 minutes)
In light of what God is saying through this weekend’s message, here are a few suggestions of how your group can invite God into your time together.
- Thank God for giving us important work to do in His Kingdom.
- Ask God to clarify His purpose for that work.
- Ask God for wisdom as to what to apply from this sermon and how to apply it.
Quick Connection: (5 minutes)
Consider a time that you experienced opposition or obstacles in completing something. How did you respond? How did you feel?
Group Discussion: (30 minutes)
This week we will explore Nehemiah and the opposition he faced in rebuilding the walls of Jerusalem.
Open your Bibles together and ask someone to read Nehemiah 4:1-6.
- Identify and share an opposition in your life you may be experiencing. If this idea of experiencing opposition does not resonate with you at this time, identify and share an area in your life where you are experiencing a spiritual victory.
- Are there specific people who are creating the opposition you are experiencing? What are they doing to create the opposition? Do you feel tempted to "stoop to their level?"
- How can you pray about the opposition you are experiencing? Is it for other people to change? Is it for you to change? Is it for circumstances to change?
- In what ways might you need to adapt your current line of thinking/strategy/execution to respond to the opposition you are encountering?
- Pastor Billy said “Satan’s attempts to attack God’s people only further God’s purposes.” Consider the situation in your life where you are experiencing opposition. Can you (or have you) identified God’s purpose for that endeavor?
CLOSING PRAYER (5-15 minutes):
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s some suggestions of what your group could talk about with God in prayer.
- Ask God to help you identify people or situations that are creating opposition to the work He has called you to complete.
- Ask God to help you know how to pray through those situations. Pray that God would further clarify His purpose for the task or obstacle you are facing.
- Thank God that any attacks on His work will ALWAY further His purpose.
CHALLENGE FOR THE WEEK:
Spend time considering what it would take to alter your view of the opposition you encounter in Kingdom work as a mechanism through which God can further bring about His purpose.