BEFORE YOU GATHER
- If this is one of your first group meetings, familiarize yourself with this Group Study Guide.
- If you missed it, CLICK HERE to watch the weekend sermon.
- Spend some time in prayer before your group gathers.
- To prepare for discussion, CLICK HERE for a few facilitation tips and/or CLICK HERE to review and remind your group of the Group Agreement.
- As a leader you always have the option to use some or all the questions and/or write your own questions.
Opening Prayer/Quick Connection: (1-5 minutes)
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s a suggestion of how your group can invite God into your time together.
Lord, thank you for this time to gather together and worship you through our fellowship, reading the Word, and even singing! Be present in our discussion and speak truth to our hearts. We pray that you are blessed and worshipped by our gathering. Amen
Quick Connection: (5 minutes)
In the sermon this weekend, Pastor Steve told a bit of his music story (childhood, teenage years, church, etc.). Share a bit of your music story with the group. What music do you remember enjoying and singing as a child, teen, now?
Group Discussion: (30 minutes)
This week we will explore the concept of worship. “Worship is to honor with extravagant love and extreme submission" (Webster's Dictionary, 1828). Let’s explore why and how God calls us to worship him.
Open your Bibles together and read Psalm 96.
- What stands out to you the most from these verses?
In this Psalm, and many other places in the Bible, God calls us to worship him with singing. Let’s explore just a few of the reasons why:
- Singing seals God’s scripture and truth in our mind and hearts. What is a Bible verse or a truth that you have memorized because it is in a song?
- Singing heightens the emotional impact of God’s truth. When has a worship experience allowed you respond to God with joy and gratitude? When has a worship experience reminded you of God’s promises at a time when you were carrying a heavy burden?
- Singing connects us to the eternal reality of worship in heaven. Read Revelation 4:2-11. What stands out to you in this scripture? How does knowing about the worship in heaven change how you worship here on earth?
- What are some other reasons why you think worship is important to God? Why should worship be important to you? To the church?
- Singing is not the only way to worship God. What are some are other ways to worship God? Do you have a favorite way?
CLOSING PRAYER (5-15 minutes):
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s some suggestions of what your group could talk about with God in prayer.
- Play a worship song and sing! (Play a favorite worship song or video that you have or look one up on the computer.)
- Go around the group and have people pray out one sentence prayers of praise and adoration to God. God I praise you because you are...
CHALLENGE FOR THE WEEK:
- Find a fresh or new way to worship God this week:
- Find a new worship song or artist to listen to (and sing with!).
- Get a hymnal and read or sing through a classic hymn. What does it teach you about God?
- Take a prayer/worship walk and tell God all of the reasons you adore him.
- Pick a Psalm and read it as a worship song to God.
- Try writing your own worship song or psalm to God!
RESOURCES FOR FURTHER GROWTH, DISCUSSION & DISCIPLESHIP
For some Christian music this week, here are a few playlist suggestions for you:
- iTunes “Christian” Radio - https://itunes.apple.com/us/station/christian/ra.985485047
- iTunes “Praise and Worship” Radio - https://itunes.apple.com/us/station/praise-and-worship/ra.1129207194
- Spotify “Top Christian” Playlist - https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DXcb6CQIjdqKy
- Spotify “Worship Now” Playlist - https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DWVYgpMbMPJMz
- Pandora “Praise and Worship” Station - https://www.pandora.com/genre/G533