BEFORE YOU GATHER
- Familiarize yourself with this Group Study Guide.
- If you missed it, CLICK HERE to watch the weekend sermon.
- Spend some time in prayer before your group gathers.
- To prepare for discussion, CLICK HERE for a few facilitation tips and/or CLICK HERE to review and remind your group of the Group Agreement.
- As a leader you always have the option to use some or all the questions and/or write your own questions.
Opening Prayer: (1-5 minutes)
In light of what God is saying through this weekend’s message, here is a suggestion of how your group can invite God into your time together.
Holy Spirit, we ask that You would soften our hearts regarding this oftentimes challenging and difficult topic of money. We pray that You would reveal to us how rich we already are and the trap that money can be for us. Thank you for this time and space to be open and vulnerable with one another.
Quick Connection: (5 minutes)
Who in your life has modeled generosity? What did they do that was generous and how did this effect the people around them?
Group Discussion: (30 minutes)
This week we will explore what it means to be rich and our responsibilities as God’s stewards over what He has given to us.
Open your Bibles together and ask a few people to read the following verses: I Timothy 6:6-10 and 17-19.
- What does it mean to be a steward? What does it look like to live with “open hands?”
- Discuss the meaning of the word “contentment.” How is scripture a "vaccine" against the power that money has to destroy us?
- Read Matthew 25:34-40. Who really matters to God in these verses? If money is supposed to be a tool or fuel, how can we use it to help these people who matter to God?
- Teddy Roosevelt once said, “Comparison is the thief of joy.” Why do we not feel rich? How is money and the pursuit of things a trap that robs us of joy?
- In our culture, it is taboo to ask specifics about someone else’s money; and yet there are subtle ways we compare and judge others based on perceived wealth building unspoken walls between us. How can we avoid comparing and reduce the importance of money to be more connected to others?
- Share with the group where you are with your relationship to money. Has God taught or is He teaching you lessons in this area?
Closing Prayer: (5-15 minutes)
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here is a suggestion of what your group could talk about with God in prayer.
Lord we pray that we would be open handed stewards of the resources that You has given to us. We ask for the ability, courage and opportunity to be generous today and not delay until we have “enough”. Help us to see the riches You have given us as You see them.
CHALLENGE FOR THE WEEK
Seek out someone who God has put on your heart from Matthew 25:34-40. Consider ways to break down walls and become closer and more connected to others...to that certain someone.