BEFORE YOU GATHER
- Familiarize yourself with this Group Study Guide.
- If you missed it, CLICK HERE to watch the weekend sermon.
- Spend some time in prayer before your group gathers.
- To prepare for discussion, CLICK HERE for a few facilitation tips.
- As a leader you always have the option to use some or all the questions and/or write your own questions.
Opening Prayer: (1-5 minutes)
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s some suggestions of how your group can invite God into your time together.
- Thank God for the ways He has/is call(ing) you.
- Praise God that He uses the empty and the humble.
- Ask God to reveal the ways in which He is calling your group collectively and individually to follow Him more deeply.
Quick Connection: (5 minutes)
Can you recall a time when you were asked to do something you were excited to do/participate in? Has there been something you’ve been asked to do that you DREAD doing?
Group Discussion: (30 minutes)
This week we will explore the ways in which Jesus calls the empty and defends the called.
Open your Bibles and together read Luke 5:1-11, 27-32.
- Compare and contrast the circumstances in which Peter and Matthew found themselves in when Jesus called them to follow Him. (Leaders, you may want to use a Venn Diagram as a visual resource in comparing and contrasting.)
- In your own words, what did Jesus do for Peter? For Matthew?
- Who do you identify with more, Peter, or Matthew? (Note: It’s okay to identity with Peter in some ways and Matthew in others…)
- What part did humility play in both Peter’s (Luke 5:5) and Matthew’s (Luke 5:28) response to Jesus invitation?
- What parts of your life is Jesus inviting you to leave? What parts of your life fill empty?
- Jesus defended his disciples when they were criticized by the Pharisees. Based on his example, what can you expect from Jesus when you are criticized? How does humility factor into our dealings with the criticism by those who do not know Jesus?
CLOSING PRAYER (5-15 minutes):
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s a suggestion of what your group could talk about with God in prayer.
Jesus, help us to recognize what’s empty, humbly allow YOU to fill it, and graciously watch as you defend us - your CALLED - to those who do not understand.
CHALLENGE FOR THE WEEK:
- In a digital or paper journal, keep track of the times you feel frustrated, at the end of your rope, or empty. Ask Jesus how HE wants fill you. Humbly respond to His leading.
- Note this week the times you feel criticized or put down because of your faith. Choose not to speak immediately. Pray that Jesus would defend you.
RESOURCES FOR FURTHER GROWTH & DISCIPLESHIP