BEFORE YOU GATHER
- Familiarize yourself with this Group Study Guide.
- If you missed it, CLICK HERE to watch the weekend sermon.
- Spend some time in prayer before your group gathers.
- To prepare for discussion, CLICK HERE for a few facilitation tips.
- As a leader you always have the option to use some or all the questions and/or write your own questions.
Opening Prayer: (1-5 minutes)
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s some suggestions of how your group can invite God into your time together.
- We praise You for creating our minds, bodies, and souls.
- Thank You for loving us despite our imperfections.
- Ask God to reveal to you moments where you have let your tongue “stumble in many ways.”
Quick Connection: (5-10 minutes)
Recall a time where you let your tongue or your tone get away from you. Have a few people in your group share briefly on what took place and the result of their actions.
Group Discussion: (20-30 minutes)
This week we will explore the question... Can you tame your tongue?
- Open your Bibles together and read James 3:1-2. Who is this passage directed towards? Who is the “We” the author of James refers to in verse 2? Does this change your answer to the 1st question? If so, explain.
- Verses 3-6 give three metaphors for the mouth. Talk amongst your group and come up with three more examples of what the tongue is like.
- Have you ever thought about the power the tongue or tone can have? Discuss.
- Do you think it’s really impossible to “tame the tongue,” as it says in verse 8? If it truly is “impossible,” then why should we try?
- How would a person do this? If you tried to tame your speaking habits, how would you go about it?
CLOSING PRAYER (5-15 minutes):
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s some suggestions of what your group could talk about with God in prayer.
- Thank Jesus for allowing us the opportunity to praise Him, despite our mishaps. Thank Him for loving us and making us in His likeness.
- Praise Jesus for the gift of self-control from His Holy Spirit.
- Ask God to bring to you opportunities this week where you can tame your tongue and tone.
CHALLENGE FOR THE WEEK:
Can your forgive those Christian leaders who have let you down? Can you forgive your Christian family and friends who have let their tongues go unbridled? Can you forgive yourself for worshiping God with the same mouth we hurl insults as well as praises?
RESOURCES FOR FURTHER GROWTH, DISCUSSION & DISCIPLESHIP