BEFORE YOU GATHER
- Familiarize yourself with this Group Study Guide.
- If you missed it, CLICK HERE to watch the weekend sermon.
- Spend some time in prayer before your group gathers.
- To prepare for discussion, CLICK HERE for a few facilitation tips.
- As a leader you always have the option to use some or all the questions and/or write your own questions.
Opening Prayer: (1-5 minutes)
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s a suggestion of how your group can invite God into your time together.
- God, we ask You to fill this space. We pray that as we enter this time of sharing, discussion, exploration and prayer, that You would go before us and help us to discover more of Your glory and truth.
- Thank you for being with us in ALL moments...big and small.
- Help us recognize the fear of failure in our lives and the impact it can/has/is making.
Quick Connection: (5 minutes)
When it comes to the natural instinct responses to fearful situations (Fight, Flight, Freeze), what is your first response?
Group Discussion: (30 minutes)
This week we will explore the fear of FAILURE.
We have to choose to follow... if we do... the fear that paralyzes us, the potential failure that looms over us, will not consume us. The hope and prayer is that for all of us, especially those of us who are afraid of failing, that we would strive to know Jesus, that we would seek the Holy Spirit, that we would follow hard after God, and see His glory shine through us.
Open your Bibles and together read Exodus 3-4.
- As a child, what did you find yourself afraid of? Did you have a biggest fear? Has it changed for you as an adult? Explain why you feel there has or has not been a shift.
- The fear of failure is closely associated to our identity as human beings and can and will directly impact our relationship with God. Using Moses’ story as your example... In moments of fear of failing, what is lacking in ourselves? Another way to think about this is… When we are afraid of failing, what do we desire most?
- How do YOU define success (i.e. in your career, in your friendships, in your marriage, in your parenting, in your life)? How does that compare to your definition of failure?
- How does GOD define success? Compare your definition vs. His definition.
- What adjustments do you need to make for “FOLLOW” to become your first response to fear, instead of one of the natural instinct responses?
- To follow God requires action and we have a choice to do so. To choose to follow after God (to set His presence as our ultimate success) means we could fail at everything else; and yet still succeed at what is most important. Think of a time when you did not follow God...what was the result? On the other hand, think of a time when you did choose to follow God...What was the result?
CLOSING PRAYER (5-15 minutes):
In light of what God is saying through this week’s message, here’s a suggestion written by A.W. Tozer of a prayer your group could use to wrap up your time together. You can pray this as a collective group, as individuals or break into partners and pray this for one another.
“O God, I want to want You; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Your glory, I pray that so I may know YOU indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Give me grace to follow You.”
CHALLENGE FOR THE WEEK:
- Think about a mountain top experience you have had or want to have with God (Exodus 34). What needs to change in your pursuit to follow Him this week for that to happen or happen again?
- There are MANY biblical examples we have of those who have gone before us and failed to follow God in our response/action. Take time this week and select one or two of the individuals below and explore their story.
- Jonah - Read Jonah 1-2
- Jeremiah - Read Jeremiah 1:4-10
- King David (and Bathsheba) - Read 2 Samuel 11 -12:25
- Peter - Read Mark 14:27-72
RESOURCES FOR FURTHER GROWTH & DISCIPLESHIP
- (Book Reference) “Soul Keeping: Caring for the Most Important Part of You” by John Ortberg
- (Book Reference) “The Practice of the Presence of God.” by Brother Lawrence
- Fear Not series references